IN recent times girls have had to adapt to modern trends such as going back to retro Aztec designs, monochrome, jumpsuits and now leggings. The boys look on in glee at a fashion trend they can gladly engage with. This is the league of almost-bare bums and finely-shaped legs concealed by the gifted leggings. If you don’t believe me, check out this Facebook page where the lads go to drool over women who have spent hours squatting in a gym and performing dead lifts to achieve this *ahem* look This is the more ambitious look, not every woman will look like this in leggings. Sorry to disappoint.
We have J-Lo to thank for this; she and Beyoncé made big arses the next best thing to large breasts. The trouble now, is we are all desperate for the biggest curviest-shaped bum – quite a change from twenty years ago when all ladies desired was a flat tummy, thin legs and a small back side. Now it is not so. We don these very tight tracksuit bottoms, sometimes see through, that hug bums and curves that so happen to capture the Y chromosomal eye – when done right of course. I have appointed myself the task of offering supervisory guidelines on the correct legging wearing etiquette.
- Start caring about what underwear you choose in the morning. I doubt you will want anyone to see the seam of your full-sized briefs from Penney’s. In my experience and trauma, a thong or seamless underwear work best. Anything else is the equivalent of wearing a black bra with a white shirt.
- Expect stares. Men seem unaware that a lady’s assets can be judged by the clingy fabric of leggings. Forget being embarrassed and shy when men look. It means you have good pins!
- Depending on your body shape of being curvy or very thin, make sure the colour you choose flatters your shape and does not emphasize any bad points. For example, pink neon while getting the morning paper might not be a good idea.
- That little gap where your foot meets your leg can betray you. Ensure all nooks and hooks are taken care of.
- That shiny nylon (a.k.a wet look) is not flattering – choose cotton and polyester.
- Depending on point five about fabric, we don’t want any cracks showing. If this is an issue, perhaps a long t-shirt or dress would be preferable so we don’t attract too many stares and wolf-whistles.
- Leggings are versatile with accompaniments. That is to say, t-shirts, shorts, skirts, dresses, hoodies etc. can all be work. For optimum apparel, team it with a nice string top.
- Did I mention how uber comfortable they are on a lazy day? As well as a casual day look, they can also be worn to the gym.
- Watch out for the holes. They are not as frequent as with tights because the material is thicker but they happen and at embarrassing moments and in embarrassing places. But don’t let that deter you.
Photo c/o latimes.com